Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tasty Tuesday - Lemon Bread



Springtime and lemons.

There's something about spring that makes me crave lemony treats.  I'm not sure if it's the memories of the Lemon Meringue Pie at Easter, but I'm sure they play a part.

When I'm craving something lemony I reach for this family favorite. The recipe has been passed down through my family.  I make it regularly, all year round.  It's moist with just the right amount of tartness.  I know you're going to love it.

LEMON BREAD

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Generously grease a loaf pan.

In a bowl stir together:

1-1/2 cups      flour
1 tsp.              baking powder
1/2 tsp.           salt
                       Grated rind of one lemon

Grate your lemon rind.  Only the yellow, the white can be bitter.

Add the lemon rind to the other dry ingredients.  Stir it up.

In a large bowl, cream together and mix well:

1/2 cup           shortening
1 cup              white sugar
2                     eggs



Cream the sugar and shortening together.


Add the eggs.  I like to beat my eggs first.


The creamed mixture should look like this.


Add your dry ingredients (the flour mixture) to the creamed sugar mixture alternately with:

 1/2 cup milk

Always start and end with the dry ingredients.  

Add some of the dry ingredients (flour mixture) to the creamed sugar mixture. Mix it.


Add some of the milk to the creamed mixture. Mix it.  Keep repeating these two steps until everything is combined.

Pour your batter into your well greased loaf pan.



Bake for one hour.

While you're waiting for the bread to bake, stir together:

1/4 cup       white sugar
                  juice of one lemon

Let it sit while the bread bakes to make a lemony syrup.


When your bread is finished baking, take it from the oven.



Immediately take a skewer and make some holes in the top of the bread.

You can also use toothpicks or a double campfire cooking skewer like I did.  
  

Stir your lemon syrup and pour it all over the top of the bread.

Mmmmm The lemon syrup soaks down into the holes you just made.


Let the bread cool completely before removing it from the pan.


Time for tea!  I'm having a slice of Lemon Bread with mine.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. The bread looks so good. I can't wait to make it. Love lemons!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome! I love lemon anything. Thanks for linking up to What I Learned Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very yummy! May have to try this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete