Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Cookbook I Love - They Draw and Cook

This is going to be one of those posts where I've removed the girl from the art blog but I can't remove the art from the girl.  I say this because the new cookbook that I'm so in love with satisfies both my love of food and cooking, and my love of art.  Here it is:

They Draw and Cook, presented by Nate Padavick & Salli Swindell

"They Draw and Cook" has 107 recipes illustrated by artists from around the world.  The recipes were also all written by the artists, not by chefs in fancy hats, or celebrities from television (unless of course they are an artist too).  The result is charming and original and very different.  Don't expect every recipe to have neatly laid out ingredient lists and directions.  Think instead of a little work of art on each page and the recipe is part of it.

A peek inside "They Draw and Cook"

Each page is delightful and the recipes look delicious... well they sound delicious.  You don't see the finished product in this cookbook, but I don't miss seeing it.

If you have young budding cooks at home, they would love this cookbook.  I think it would make children want to cook.

But, wait.. I haven't told you the best part.. you don't have to own the cookbook to see all the recipes inside the book.  There is a website:  They Cook and Draw  where you can find every recipe in the book plus many many more.  I browse through there in heaven.. it's part art gallery, part cooking site.  Click on a recipe to bring up a page devoted to it, where you can print the recipe, download high res versions of the recipe, buy prints of the recipe, and comment on the illustration and the recipe itself after you've tried it.

On the website there is even a Dial a Dinner Page  which you can use like a slot machine to randomly give you an appetizer, a main course and a dessert recipe to make for dinner!  I could play with it for ages.  Oh.. and there is a vegetarian version of it too.

If you're an artist, you can submit your illustrated recipe to them for inclusion on the site.  Guess what I'm going to be doing?  Artists go to the Submit a Recipe page on the They Cook and Draw site to find out all the particulars.

There is a shop of course, where you can buy the cookbook and other items, like prints of the recipes and other products.

In short, this book and the website is nothing but pure fun and fancy.  It's proof that you can have fun cooking. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sweet review Tori! You totally get our concept - food is fun!!!

    Nate from They Draw & Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nate,

      You're very welcome. As you just read, I totally agree with you and love what you've done with the site and the cookbook. Great idea and wonderfully played out. My hat off to you!

      ~Tori

      Delete